Wednesday 1 June 2016

Happiness

While watching the documentary "Happy :)," I was constantly feeling guilty. I felt guilty at the fact that people with much less than me, seemed to have greater happiness. One thing that really stood out to me in this documentary was the breakdown of why some are happier than others. I was actually very surprised to learn that 50% of our happiness level is affected by our genetic make-up, and that 40% if affected by the things we choose to do. This was surprising because, well that only leaves 10% to come from our circumstance. This shocked me, because basically my whole life, I have spent striving towards good grades, so I could get into the university I wanted, to ensure I was able to get the career I want, so I would make good money, and be able to have a nice house, and support a family and a marriage.

When I sat down and made a list of ten things that made me happy, my list greatly reflected my last statement. After watching the documentary, I reflected on my list, and actually wanted to change many of them. I think our culture has become so consumed by materialistic goods, and having to prove yourself through what you have to show. I was however, enlightened at the fact that things as little as changing up your daily workout routine can result in greater happiness. I think it is worth finding things, people or experiences, that truly make you happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment